January 13, 2011

Two Weeks into Unschooling

It has been nearly two weeks since our official declaration of unschool. Two weeks ago I was a mixed bag of emotions. On the one hand, I was ready for a change and so was David. On the other hand, I was unsure of where we were going with unschooling. I've read much about it and am convinced of it philisophically. Yet, I found myself nervous and unsure of the decision that I was making.

In the two weeks since we made the decision to unschool, David has built and programmed more than a dozen robots with his Lego Mindstorm NXT. He learned how to crochet in December and is now nearly finished with a bright orange scarf that he is planning on giving to a friend. He will then begin one for me, a fabulous wool blend of brown and blue. He is reading Malka, a true account of Nazi Germany. He has a list of books to read that include Gulliver's Travels, Swiss Family Robinson and Great Expectations. A friend of his likes the junior classics. David has decided that only the unabridged versions will do. He is planning a piano performance at Granny's assisted living facility. I am going to draft the plan outline for him and he will do the rest. This will include planning the repertoire, designing the program, researching the composers so he can introduce each piece with a little history lesson. We have begun our Tuesday school with another homeschool family using a nifty unit study on Zombie Fire Ants.

In these last two weeks, his requests to play video games have dropped nearly 90%, I kid you not. As I was taking him to his gymnastics class today, he had his game boy, his current library book and his crochet project. After a few minutes of play on the Gameboy, he put it down in favor of  the book...

Who are you and what have you done with my son?

Best regards,

leapinlily

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your views or experience

 

Beyond Wits' End Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger