November 12, 2011

The Secret of Raising a Resilient Child




This is a reblog of a post by Dr. Laura Markham of Aha!Parenting.com

Dr. Edward Hallowell, author of Driven to Distraction and other books on ADHD and a successful ADD person, says in the introductory remarks of the featured post "Where does resilience come from?....It comes from knowing that you never, never have to be alone….If you feel connected, you will always be able to deal with adversity.




Dr. Laura Markham: "There's a common misconception that children develop resilience by encountering failure.  That's a myth.  Children develop resilience by dealing successfully with failure."

Louis Pasteur: "When I approach a child, he inspires in me two sentiments; tenderness for what he is, and respect for what he may become."

If I can incorporate these things into my daily dealings with my ADHD child, maybe, just maybe I can help him to face his challenges with courage and optimism. Lord knows that ADHD / ADD is most challenging. Failure will come and it won't be math. Resilience is required. My unflagging support is essential. To teach him to deal successfully with failure and keep moving in spite of it is the goal.

Best regards,

leapinlily

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your views or experience

 

Beyond Wits' End Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger